Finding aid for the Wayne, Medina & Cuyahoga Turnpike Road Company Records


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Wayne, Medina & Cuyahoga Turnpike Road Company
Title: Wayne, Medina & Cuyahoga Turnpike Road Company Records
Dates: 1824-1851
Extent: 0.20 linear feet (1 container)
Abstract: The Wayne, Medina & Cuyahoga Turnpike was the second toll road after the Wooster Turnpike along what is now Pearl Road (Rt. 42) in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. It ceased operations ca. 1852, when a railroad built a depot in Berea, which diverted the traffic to it. Toll roads were once common in the county as a means of advancing transportation for commodity goods and services to the large market centers. The collection consists of lists of subscribers, their addresses, and number of shares bought (1824), and accounts of tolls collected and receipts (1829-1851).
MS Number MS 0831
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English