Finding aid for the Anshe Chesed Congregation Records


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: previous hit Anshe Chesed next hit Congregation
Title: previous hit Anshe Chesed next hit Congregation Records
Dates: 1851-1983
Extent: 28.01 linear feet (34 containers, 36 oversize volumes, and 1 oversize folder)
Abstract: previous hit Anshe Chesed next hit Congregation is the oldest existing Jewish congregation in Cleveland, Ohio. It was established in 1841 when 30 members seceded from the Israelitic Society of Cleveland. The two congregations merged again in 1845 under the name Israelitic previous hit Anshe Chesed next hit Society of Cleveland. It is also popularly known as Fairmount Temple, reflecting its current location on Fairmount Boulevard in Beachwood, Ohio. The collection consists of minutes, correspondence, dues books, dues cards, building fund materials, curriculum and other educational materials, rabbis' papers, legal and financial documents, publicity files, publications, clippings, scrapbooks, architects drawings and specifications, membership lists and applications and directories, correspondence of the United Jewish Cemeteries, records of the United Jewish Religious Schools, correspondence, addresses and sermons of Rabbi Wolsey, sermons of Julius J. Nodel and Rabbi Lelyveld, and records of various constituent groups in the congregation.
MS Number MS 3941
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English and German