Finding aid for the Fortnightly Musical Club Records, Series II


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Fortnightly Musical Club
Title: Fortnightly Musical Club Records, Series II
Dates: 1894-1975
Extent: 1.20 linear feet (3 containers)
Abstract: The Fortnightly Musical Club was established in Cleveland, Ohio, by Mrs. Curtis Webster and other Cleveland women in 1894 to sponsor concerts and cultural programs. It was responsible for bringing to Cleveland many of its early orchestral and musical performances. In partnership with Adella Prentiss Hughes, Fortnightly presented the Symphony Orchestra Concerts which generated the interest in symphonic music that made it possible to organize the Cleveland Orchestra. It later helped establish the Cleveland Music School Settlement and the Cleveland Institute of Music. Fortnightly's role as a concert-agency diminished as Cleveland developed into a music center, and the club turned its attention to awarding performing opportunities for its members and other musicians in the Cleveland area. Fortnightly continues to be an important charter member of the Ohio Federation of Music Clubs. The collection consists of minutes, programs, yearbooks, bulletins, a scrapbook, and record books which were compiled at the turn of the century from minute books, members' records, yearbooks, programs and reference works. These papers pertain primarily to the concerts and activities of one of the oldest musical societies in the Cleveland area and to the efforts of women to promote this cultural organization.
MS Number MS 4203
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English