Finding aid for the United States Customs Service, Port of Cleveland Records


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: United States Customs Service, Port of Cleveland
Title: United States Customs Service, Port of Cleveland Records
Dates: 1860-1905
Extent: 0.20 linear feet (1 container)
Abstract: The United States Custom Service was established in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1805 and responsible for the collection of duties, and, over the years, with the paying of military pensions, administration of the Marine Hospital, reporting the number of imports and exports, and protecting the safety of passengers. The collection consists primarily of correspondence between Charles J. Ballard, Collector of Customs for the Port of Cleveland, and Salmon P. Chase, Secretary of the Treasury during the Civil War. In addition, the collection includes other correspondence and five oaths of office of customs house employees. In large part, the material relates to the role the customs house played in the search and seizure of suspected munitions imports and related espionage activities of the Confederate States during the Civil War.
MS Number MS 4452
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English