Finding aid for the Electrical League of Northern Ohio Records

Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Electrical League of Northern Ohio
Title: Electrical League of Northern Ohio Records
Dates: 1902-1989
Extent: 12.80 linear feet (14 containers and 1 oversize folder)
Abstract: The Electrical League of Northern Ohio, Inc. was founded in 1909 in Cleveland, Ohio. It was incorporated in 1915 as the Electrical League of Cleveland Inc., a non-profit association of electrical companies. Founding members included George E. Miller of the Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company and J. Robert Crouse of the General Electric Company. Under the leadership of John E. (Jack) North, president from 1923 to 1949, the League's primary function was the promotion of electrical products and services available to consumers through its membership, which included electrical manufacturers, distributors, dealers, contractors, and key Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company employees. Educational programs, meetings, and trade shows sponsored by the League were designed to educate the public on the uses of electricity and to provide technical training and marketing techniques to League members. The League established collateral organizations, including the Electrical Maintenance Engineers Association, the Women's Division, and the Sight Saving Council of Cleveland, in order to bring its educational and promotional programs to targeted groups. By 1949, the League became primarily an industrial organization. In 1958, the League was reorganized as a trade association. Its name was changed in the 1980s to the Electrical League of Northern Ohio, Inc. This collection also contains substantial personal papers of John E. (Jack) North, documenting his career in the electrical industry. The collection consists of histories, regulations, board of directors' minutes, statistical reports, directors' election records, annual financial reports, correspondence, rosters, meeting notices, agendas, honors, awards, publications, clippings, and scrapbooks.
MS Number MS 4663
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English