Finding aid for the Baptist Churches of the Western Reserve Records


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Baptist Churches of the Western Reserve
Title: Baptist Churches of the Western Reserve Records
Dates: 1817-1934
Dates: 1839-1907
Extent: 0.40 linear feet (1 container)
Abstract: Baptist churches in the Western Reserve were organized in the early nineteenth century. Having no formal hierarchy, Baptist churches formed associations linking church members and resources. Baptist churches in northeastern Ohio first belonged to the Beaver Baptist Association based in western Pennsylvania. In 1817, the Grand River Baptist Association became the first in the Western Reserve. Associations organized around geography, issues, and projects. Some Baptist associations, such as the Rocky River Baptist Association and the Geauga Baptist Association, embraced missionary activity. Bible distribution was also common in the Western Reserve, through groups such as the Ashtabula Bible Society. The collection consists of correspondence, financial records, historical notes, a Sunday school register, meeting minutes, and programs of meetings, of various Baptist Church associations, societies, and individual congregations located in the Western Reserve of Ohio.
MS Number MS 4673
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English