Finding aid for the Albert and Maxine Levin Papers


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Levin, Albert and Maxine
Title: Albert and Maxine Levin Papers
Dates: 1928-1992
Dates: 1951-1985
Extent: 0.20 linear feet (1 container)
Abstract: Albert Arthur Levin was a Cleveland, Ohio, lawyer and developer of commercial and industrial real estate. A native of Pennsylvania, he moved to Lorain, Ohio, at the age of 10. In 1918, he assumed operation of the family clothing store. After graduation from college in 1934, he became active in Democratic Party politics. He moved to Cleveland and established a law practice in 1938. He later became involved in major real estate developments, including the Marshall and Public Square buildings and the Parmatown and Shoreway shoppong centers. Levin was also a leader in fund drives for the United Jewish Appeal and Bonds for Israel, and was involved in various civic affairs, including serving as foreman of the Cuyahoga County Grand Jury (1962), trustee of the Greater Cleveland Growth Association, and co-chair of the national fund drive for Wilberforce University. He married Maxine Goodman in 1945. Maxine Goodman Levin was a civic activist and philanthropist in her own right. Born in Cleveland, she was a descendant of early Cleveland settlers. Her father, Max P. Goodman, was a prominent Cleveland attorney. Maxine Goodman Levin graduated from Ohio State University, where she studied the history of architecture. She was a founder and first president of the Cleveland Restoration Society and was chairperson of the Cleveland Landmarks Commission. She was also active on the Woodruff Hospital Board, the Women's City Club, Hadassah, Cleveland Chapter, and the World Jewish Congress Division of Northeast Ohio. She served on the boards of Dyke College, Cleveland State University, the East End Neighborhood House, the Jewish Community Federation, and the Catholic Social Services of Cuyahoga County. In 1969, she endowed a chair in urban studies and public service at Cleveland State University, and subsequently was instrumental in establishing the Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs at that school. Maxine Goodman Levin died in 2002. The collection consists of awards, honors, biographical materials, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and brochures.
MS Number MS 4676
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English