Finding aid for the Swiss Singing Societies Records


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Swiss Singing Societies
Title: Swiss Singing Societies Records
Dates: 1879-1964
Extent: 2.10 linear feet (2 containers and 2 oversize volumes)
Abstract: The Swiss Singing Societies consist of a male chorus, women's chorus, and a mixed chorus. In 1867, Swiss immigrants in Cleveland, Ohio, formed the male chorus Schwiezer Gesang Verien Gruetli Bund. In 1872, a mutual aid society, the Swiss Society (Schweizerischen Unterstuetzungs Verein) was formed by the chorus, and the chorus became known as the Gesang Club Gruetli. Later that year, the Gesang Club Gruetli merged with the Helvetia Maennerchor, another Swiss male chorus, to form the Schwiezer Maennerchor of Cleveland. Founders included Markus Knobel, Eduard Gisel, Franz Knobel, Jakob Bohner, Rudolf Knobel, and Arnold Wilhelm. Professor Jakob Keller was the first director/conductor. In 1902, the Schwiezer Maennerchor established a women's chorus. The group hosted a national Saengerfest three times; 1897, 1921, and 1956. The group was still in existence in 1995. The collection consists of minutes, account books and financial records, membership records, correspondence, newspaper clippings and publicity materials, musical scores, and programs.
MS Number MS 4685
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English and German