Finding aid for the West Side Jewish Center


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: West Side Jewish Center
Title: West Side Jewish Center
Dates: 1883-1992
Extent: 0.20 linear feet (1 container)
Abstract: The West Side Jewish Center was organized in Cleveland, Ohio, as B'nai Israel by ten Orthodox Jewish families in 1910, the second Jewish congregation founded on the west side of Cleveland. A small house was purchased at 1794 West 30th Street in 1912. In 1918, a former church building at West 25th Street and Bridge Avenue was acquired. In 1926, a new synagogue was constructed at 1791 West 57th Street, but was lost through foreclosure about 1937. Services were held in various rented quarters until 1940, when a small house was purchased at 4101 John Avenue. During the 1940s and 1950s membership averaged 55 families. A new building was occupied at 14308 Triskett Road in 1957, when the Center was merged with Beth Israel-The West Temple. By 1919, the congregation had become Conservative. With the 1957 merger with Beth Israel, the Center became part of the Reform movement. A school was also operated by the Center until 1944. The collection consists of board of trustee minutes, bulletins, newspaper clippings, interview notes, and financial records.
MS Number MS 4733
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English