Finding aid for the Mount Sinai Hospital Records, Series II


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Mount Sinai Hospital
Title: Mount Sinai Hospital Records, Series II
Dates: 1915-2004
Extent: 28.80 linear feet (39 containers and 11 oversize volumes)
Abstract: Mount Sinai Hospital had its origins in the Young Ladies Hebrew Association for the Care of the Needy Sick, created in 1892 by nine young women in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1900, they changed their name to the Jewish Women's Hospital Association. A 29-bed facility, named Mount Sinai Hospital, opened in 1903 at 2373 E. 37th St. In 1916, a new, larger facility was opened at E. 105th St. and Ansel Rd. Innovations included outpatient clinics for pediatrics and mental hygiene, established in 1915. A nursing school was included. Mount Sinai affiliated with Western Reserve University for the training and education of its nurses in 1930, and its doctors in 1947. Medical research was given a high priority. The Women's and Junior Women's auxiliaries provided important assistance to the medical staff and patients, including a nursery school for children of nurses and volunteers. Mount Sinai served as a major medical resource for Cleveland's east side throughout its history. Expansion included a twelve-story building and a kidney dialysis center (1960), a new laboratory facility (1970), and an outpatient clinic in the Cleveland suburb of Beachwood (1972). A new medical wing was added to the hospital in the 1980s, and in 1993 an integrated medical campus was opened at the Beachwood facility. In 1996, the nonprofit hospital was sold to a for-profit company, Primary Health Systems (PHS). In March 1999, PHS filed for bankruptcy, and in February 2000, Mount Sinai Hospital closed. The collection consists of agendas, annual reports, budgets, bylaws, certificates, contracts, constitutions, correspondence, financial statements, handbooks, ledgers, legal briefs, minutes, newsletters, newspaper clippings, notebooks, play scripts, reports, resolutions, rosters, scrap books, histories, publications, speech texts, surveys, and tax records.
MS Number MS 4919
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English