Finding aid for the Saxton Funeral Home Records


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Saxton Funeral Home
Title: Saxton Funeral Home Records
Dates: 1882-1997
Extent: 76.90 linear feet (77 containers and 4 oversize volumes)
Abstract: Saxton Funeral Home was established as E.H. Saxton in 1872. Located on the west side of Cleveland, Ohio, it occupied various addresses on Pearl Street and Detroit Avenue, eventually merging with the Daniels-Parker Funeral Home and Klanke Funeral Parlors, Inc. In the spring of 1997, the Saxton-Parker-Daniels Funeral Home became part of Busch Funeral and Crematory Services. The clientele of the Saxton Funeral Home reflected the demographics of the west side of Cleveland and suburban Lakewood. The British Isles, Scandinavia, and Germany were frequently listed as birthplaces of the deceased. As the population changed throughout the 1980s, the deceased in most foreign-born funerals were described as having been born in Asia or the Middle East. Nevertheless, the majority of native-born clientele served by the funeral home were white Protestants. The collection consists of affidavits, benefit applications, certificates, correspondence, court documents, cremation records, death certificates, death notices, deeds, financial statements, forms, funeral arrangement record books, funeral arrangement records, gravestone rubbings, holy cards, hospital records, insurance records, ledger books, legal documents, lists, memorial cards, military discharge records, newspaper articles, newspaper clippings, notes, obituaries, payment arrangements, photographs, purchase orders, social service records, and wills.
MS Number MS 5059
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English