Finding aid for the Jewish Women International, Cleveland Chapter Records, Series III


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Jewish Women International, Cleveland Chapter
Title: Jewish Women International, Cleveland Chapter Records, Series III
Dates: 1946-1989
Extent: 0.60 linear feet (2 containers)
Abstract: Jewish Women International (f. 1897) began in San Francisco to promote social activities among B'nai B'rith families. The first B'nai B'rith auxiliary was founded in 1909, and auxiliaries grew rapidly in the 1920s and 1930s to 178 groups and over 17,000 members reaching a peak in the 1950s with 600 chapters. In 1963 B'nai B'rith Women became an independent organization. The organization's mission has adapted to changing issues facing women, children, and families, including anti-Semitism, reproductive rights, and domestic violence. In 1995 the organization changed its name to Jewish Women International. In Cleveland, Ohio, the first chapter of B'nai B'rith Women was the Heights Chapter #119, founded in 1933, followed one month later by the Cleveland Chapter #121. During the 1930s and 1940s eleven more chapters were created, with one more in the 1950s. In addition, Cleveland chapters assisted in the organization of Women's District Grand Lodge No. 2, which included several midwestern states. The district was headed by Clevelanders Mrs. David Copland in 1936 and Lydia Woldman in 1940. In 1953, Woldman also served as president of the Women's Supreme Council, the national body which coordinated 620 chapters. Declining numbers in the 1980s caused a restructuring of the local chapters, combining twelve chapters into one new chapter, #1736, consisting of 1,500 women. The collection consists of announcements, bulletins, correspondence, budgets, flyers, invitations, lists, minutes, programs, and speeches.
MS Number MS 5141
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English