Finding aid for the Mount Sinai Hospital Records Series III


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Mount Sinai Hospital
Title: Mount Sinai Hospital Records Series III
Dates: 1913-2006
Extent: 2.20 linear feet (3 containers and 1 oversize volume)
Abstract: Mount Sinai Hospital (1903-2000) had its origins in the Young Ladies Hebrew Association for the Care of the Needy Sick, created in 1892 by nine young women in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1900, they changed their name to the Jewish Women's Hospital Association. A 29-bed facility, named Mount Sinai Hospital, opened in 1903 at 2373 East 37th Street. In 1916, a new, larger facility was opened at East 105th Street and Ansel Road. Innovations included outpatient clinics for pediatrics and mental hygiene, established in 1915. A nursing school was included. Mount Sinai affiliated with Western Reserve University for the training and education of its nurses in 1930, and its doctors in 1947. Mount Sinai served as a major medical resource for Cleveland's east side throughout its history. A new medical wing was added to the hospital in the 1980s, and in 1993 an integrated medical campus was opened in Beachwood. In 1996, the nonprofit hospital was sold to a for-profit company, Primary Health Systems (PHS). In March 1999, PHS filed for bankruptcy, and in February 2000, Mount Sinai Hospital closed. During the demolition of the Mount Sinai building in 2006, workers uncovered a time capsule that had been placed in the cornerstone of the building during construction in 1915. The time capsule held newspapers, fundraising records, and miscellaneous items related to the construction of the building. Throughout the history of Mount Sinai Hospital, female volunteers provided invaluable assistance to the medical staff and patients. The Women's and Junior Women's Auxiliaries created and staffed a nursery school for the children of nurses and volunteers. They offered classes that trained volunteers to work in outpatient clinics and pediatric wards, and, in addition, organized a gift shop and television rental for patients. In 1997, the auxiliaries were renamed the Mount Sinai Community Partners. The Auxiliaries also published a newsletter, "The Chart," documenting their activities. The collection consists of reports, minutes, booklets, financial records, newspapers, quarterly reports, and a scrapbook.
MS Number MS 5143
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English