Finding aid for the Mount Sinai Hospital Records, Series IV


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Mount Sinai Hospital
Title: Mount Sinai Hospital Records, Series IV
Dates: 1905-2000
Extent: 1.80 linear feet (six containers, including one oversized box and three oversized film reels)
Abstract: Mount Sinai Hospital (1903-2000) had its origins in the Young Ladies Hebrew Association for the Care of the Needy Sick, created in 1892 by nine young women in Cleveland, Ohio. A 29-bed facility, named Mount Sinai Hospital, opened in 1903 at 2373 East 37th Street. In 1916, a new, larger facility was opened at East 105th Street and Ansel Road. Mount Sinai affiliated with Western Reserve University for the training and education of its nurses in 1930, and its doctors in 1947. Mount Sinai served as a major medical resource for Cleveland's east side throughout its history. In 1996, the nonprofit hospital was sold to a for-profit company, Primary Health Systems (PHS). In March 1999, PHS filed for bankruptcy, and in February 2000, Mount Sinai Hospital closed. The collection consists of articles, brochures, a bulletin, a certificate, minutes, a press release, a print, a proposal, records of honor, reports, commemorative tiles, a tribute book, a yearbook, as well as several audio and visual materials.
MS Number MS 5430
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English