Finding aid for the Alliance of Poles of America Photographs


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Alliance of Poles of America
Title: Alliance of Poles of America Photographs
Dates: 1917-1970
Extent: 0.60 linear feet (2 containers)
Abstract: The Alliance of Poles of America is a fraternal insurance organization which broke away from the Polish National Alliance in 1895, over the issue of membership for non-Roman Catholic Poles. Originally a Cleveland, Ohio, organization, it now includes groups throughout Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania, and has opened its membership to men and women with other than Polish or Catholic backgrounds. In 1917 it changed its name from the Alliance of Poles in Ohio to the Alliance of Poles of America. The collection consists of portraits and views of businesses, clubs, athletes, musicians, and events associated with or relating to the Alliance of Poles of America, a fraternal-insurance organization established in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1895. Included are views of the Alliance of Poles of America General Office at Broadway and Forman Avenue and portraits of members of its Central Governing Board during the 1930s and 1940s. Also included are World War II military portraits of members of Cleveland's Polish American community.
PG Number PG 269
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English