Finding aid for the Temple-Tifereth Israel Photographs


Repository: Western Reserve Historical Society
Creator: Temple-Tifereth Israel next hit
Title: previous hit Temple-Tifereth Israel next hit Photographs
Dates: 1870-2008
Extent: 0.96 linear feet (96 oversize folders)
Abstract: The previous hit Temple-Tifereth Israel next hit is the second oldest Jewish congregation in Cleveland, Ohio. The congregation was founded in 1850 after several members of Anshe Chesed, Cleveland's first congregation, left that congregation as the result of a dispute over religious ritual. After implementing religious reforms in the service and hiring a dedicated rabbi for the congregation, Tifereth Israel eventually built the first synagogue for the congregation in 1855 at Huron and Miami Streets. In 1894 the congregation moved to Willson Avenue in the Woodland neighborhood and then to Wade Park on East 105th Street in 1924. The congregation dedicated The Temple Branch in Beachwood in 1969. In 2010 it was announced that the East 105th Street building would be renovated by Case Western Reserve University for use as a performing arts center. The congregation currently makes its home in Beachwood. The collection consists of oversize confirmation photographs. Each individual photograph, except the ones before 1909, depicts individual portraits of each member of the class for the given year. The photographs prior to 1909 are group portraits. Each portrait includes photographs of the rabbis of the congregation at the time, including Moses Gries, Abba Hillel Silver, and Daniel Silver. There are no photographs for 1871-1897, 1952, 1954, 1987 and 1988.
PG Number PG 589
Location: closed stacks
Language: The records are in English